Tuesday, February 6, 2007

My Big Mouth

Add Image
We're entering the slow news portion of the sports year. The NFL season just ended and the baseball season is still a couple months away with most offseason transactions having being completed. What we (and by we I mean me, you might be following some other stuff) are left with is the NHL, NBA, and a little college basketball. What I'm trying to do is give an excuse for why I'm having trouble coming up with something to write on. What I've come up with is a quick post on some goofy NBA happenings. What the writing handbook would suggest is that you don't begin 4 straight sentences with "What", but I'm a wild and crazy against the grain writer so deal with it.

Tyrus Thomas, the 6'9" jump out of the gym athletic freak rookie from the Chicago Bulls, was selected to be 1 of 4 players to participate in this years dunk contest. When asked if he was excited to rub shoulders with the greats of the league Tyrus responded, "I'm just into the free money. That's it. I'll just do whatever when I get out there." Probably not the best thing for the 20 year old rookie to say, but he's young and he's telling the truth.

John Paxson, Bulls GM, didn't like what Thomas had to say and fined him $10,000 for the remarks which he considered, "a poor reflection on the Bulls organization". In the end Thomas will still recieve some free money, third- and fourth-place finishers in the Dunk Contest get $16,125 each, with second getting $22,500 and the winner getting $35,000. So he's in line for about $6000-$25000, along with a $10000 lesson to think before you say anything and never say what you really think. May be he learns from this, and tightens up his media quotes, but if so the league gets a little more boring and a little less honest. Just my opinion.

LINK

UPDATE: It was just a random post, but after Henry Abbott (the name in NBA blogs) of TrueHoop wrote a very similar article I feel very validated in my writing.

No comments: