Friday, January 12, 2007

Milestone Moment and The Weekend Picks

First off, the good news. Yesterday the first person, other than myself, saw Ike Krizzule Talks Sports. How do I know this you ask? While, being the exceptionally curious person I am, I wondered if anyone would ever look at my blog so I signed up for this thing called Google Analytics. It records the number of visits, and where the person is looking from. So now I know that someone from Sacramento was on this page, for however brief of a time, and may of may not have read anything I had to say. Not much, but it is a step in the right direction, and for some reason has me really excited.

And there's more good news, seeing as how its a Friday of the NFL Playoffs I've decided I don't really have to think up a column. There's no bigger story for this weekend, and I'm sure the lovely person from Sacramento (or anyone else who stumbles there way here) is dying to know who I'm picking. All picks will ignore the spread, which exists only for the consideration of degenerate gamblers and alcoholics. Of which I am neither, or so I'll have you believe for the credibility of this rapidly spreading blog.

RAVENS over Colts
First of the disclaimer, I hate Peyton Manning. In fact I hate all the Mannings, just something about them I can't explain. But in the Ike Krizzule Wide World of Sports games are much more interesting when I have a rooting interest, and the Mannings are kind enough to give me that every time. I will cheer for any and every team playing a Manning, and when its Peyton .v. Eli I change the channel.

Disclaimer aside, I really do think that the Ravens will win (or is that my bias talking, I'll really never know). I remember watching a Ravens/Colts MNF game last year (I think, could have been 2 years), and the Ravens were terrible at the time. They had no offense whatsoever, people were hurt, Anthony Wright might have been playing QB, and they stuck with the Colts the whole way, keeping it something like 3-0 until the 4th. The point is that if that Ravens team could stay with the Colts, then adding an actual offense should put them over the top.

And on the fact that its in Baltimore, the weather report says cold and raining, Peyton chokes every year in the playoffs, and I could probably run for 100 yards against that Colts D, and the choice is obvious.
Add Image
SAINTS over Eagles

I'd love to pick the Eagles, Canadians feel compelled to cheer for ex-CFL players who manage to make it in the NFL. For years I hated Jeff Garcia for being so damn good and beating the crap out of my Roughriders, but when he went to the NFL its like a switch flips and he represents Canadian football and everything I love about it. It was the same thing with Doug Flutie. But I can't pick a banged up Eagles team, that barely beat the dysfunctional Giants group, against "America's Team".

The Saints are good, the Saints are rested, the Saints have weapons on offense, and if there's a questionable call don't think the NFL won't try to right the wrongs of FEMA by giving New Orleans the benefit of the doubt.
Add Image
BEARS over Seahawks
The Seahawks got a gift last week with poor Tony Romo's meltdown, but it won't happen again. The Bears are too good on defense to give up anything to the Seahawks, especially with Shawn Alexander running around with half a leg (or foot, or whatever's hurt). The only thing that could kill the Bears is if Sexi-Rexi (Rex Grossman) goes crazy and throws about 4 picks with 2 fumbles while Lovie Smith decides to, "stick with his guy." I don't see it happening, so the pick is 'Da Bears.
Add Image

Patriots over CHARGERS
Really weird game, you've got:
- the coaching match up, Belichick's playoff success over Schottenheimers playoff failures
- the QB match up, best clutch QB in the world Tom Brady over 1st year starter Phillip Rivers
- the RB match up, Tomlinson's best RB season ever over the duo of Dillon and Maroney

It could go either way in a blowout, or be a tight game the whole way through. There really is no way of knowing what's going to happen in this game. In the end I just think history shows when in doubt take the Patriots, but if they lose by 20 I won't really be surprised.
Add Image
So there you go, its longer than I planned so even if somebody finds it who knows if they'll read it, but those are the Ike Krizzule Locks of the Week.

No comments: