Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Weekend Recap

Add Image
I meant to write this last night, but got a call from my Colts fan friend and had to be graceful in defeat (at least for one more week). I meant to write it this afternoon, but spent my time reading what everyone else had to say. I meant to write it earlier this evening, but would out watching the Raptor, Heroes and 24. These are excuses or explanations, whichever you prefer. I thought about skipping it, but it seems important to write and with 5 new visitors since my last post (Salt Lake City, Montreal, Markham, McLean and Hunter River bringing the total to 9) what kind of blogger would I be if I slacked off on this.

I was fortunate enough to have a lazy Sunday to myself yesterday, where I enjoyed 2 pretty good NFL football games. The first (Bears/Saints) had its moments, but victory was all but assured for the Bears early in the 4th quarter. The second (Colts/Pats) was a back and forth prizefight between the 2 best teams of the 2000's: one of whom I hate, the other I sorta like. I enjoyed the first one, I loved (even considering the result) the second one.

The closer it got to Bears/Saints gametime the more worried I started to be about my pick. The Bears D hadn't been playing great lately, and the Saints are a really good team with a story that people like to hear. Then, while watching a pregame show, I heard Saints coach Sean Payton say that they had practiced all week in a dome. Being Canadian I know how bad weather affects football games, suddenly I felt much better about my pick. It snowed, the Bears D came to play, and the Saints committed 4 turnovers. Rex Grossman had another solid playoff game, and that's all the Bears needed to win the NFC ... the SuperBowl could be a different story.

For some reason I've always disliked Peyton Manning. It's tough to say why, but I'm a guy who has to watch a game and cheer. I'll watch random colleg bowl games, with in 5 minutes pick a team, and root for them the rest of the game. I've been rooting for whoever's playing Peyton for a while now and I've been coming away happy every year, usually thanks to the Patriots. So I kinda like the Patriots. I'm not a bandwagoner, my team's the 49er's from when I started watching football and Jerry Rice caught my eye, but I appreciate that the Patriots have been kind enough to let me cheer some of their wins while my Niners get things back together.

Yesterday looked like it was gonna be another one of those days. The Patriots jumped out to an early 21-3 lead, and had it 21-6 at the half. But for some reason, this time, Peyton Manning decided to not lay down. The Colts fought back and helped deliver one exceptionally exciting half of football. The Patriots didn't back down, at least their offense didn't, and it was a Stand in Front of the T.V. exciting finish. I give all credit to the Colts, they were the better team (although there were some calls I wasn't a huge fan of) and they won the game.

Now it all rests on the Chicago Bears to save me one more year, and keep my friend (who is a bandwagoner) from celebrating in my face. You're our only hoped Chicago.

No comments: